Friday, January 28, 2011

My friend Julia

"Bailey" by Julia Salt, Mixed Media Artist




You may remember my young friend Julia from here. We have struck up a very enjoyable email correspondence.


Julia received a set of Winsor and Newton watercolors for Christmas but was afraid to wreck or waste them. I responded that she may enjoy USING them more than just looking at them. 


Here is her response:
"I think one of my biggest issues was that I was worried that I would use all my expensive paints on something that didn't matter, something that wasn't important.(What am I doubting myself?!?) I desided my art doesn't HAVE to be important, it doesn't need to have a huge message, say "HEY OVER HERE!" it can just kinda sneak up behind you and tap you on the shoulder."
What do you think of that? Good advice, I'd say. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

now that's some of the best advice that I've ever heard.

Timaree said...

Heck, I'll be happy if my work does sneak up and tap someone on the shoulder! I just started my first real acrylic painting for my bathroom wall and one of my sisters saw it and said "shouldn't there be more bumpiness to the horizon"? Well no, not in my mind's eye there shouldn't. Evidently my dream-land-scape isn't going to thrill or tap anyone but me on the shoulder! Oh well, I like it so far.

Jeannie said...

Wise words from a young artist. I am so glad she received her paints instead of waiting 40+ years like I did!;)Have a great weekend.

Cheryl Razmus said...

Diana, just did my first journal painting in public today. I was so nervous to try, but after all was said and done, it was a wonderfully important event (even though I was just drawing a cup of coffee and a lamp.) Ya want to know why? Because it touched another young person who saw me, made her connect with me and smile, and say how much she loves to draw too. Now that journal page will always serve to remind me that every moment spent doing art is worthwhile.

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

Oh wow! What a wonder on two levels, Cheryl. Yes, inspiration is a circle, isn't it? I've been so inspired by other artists (and regular people ;) in my life. It is such a joy to pass it on. Thanks for sharing this lovely story!